Volunteers make a vital difference to our work and we are extremely grateful to all our volunteers whose time and effort bring so much to the Herbert and its visitors.
What Do Volunteers Do?
The majority of the Herbert's volunteers work directly with the public in roles as diverse as Welcome Hosts, Workshop Assistants, Retail Support and Exhibition Guides. Other volunteers support the work of our curatorial, archives, learning, and marketing and collection teams. Volunteer support is crucial, enabling us to enrich our offer to the public, and supporting our aim of bringing history and the arts to life in Coventry.
You don't need to have specialist knowledge to volunteer, just an enthusiasm for our work and a willingness to learn new skills and/or working practices.
Volunteers at the Herbert come from a variety of backgrounds and industries. Our youngest volunteers are 16 and our oldest volunteers are enjoying their retirement years.
Some of our volunteers are only able to offer us an hour per week; others are able to support us for longer. The Herbert is open to the public from 10 – 4 Mondays to Saturdays and 12 - 4 Sundays; and Volunteers are asked to commit to at least 1 session per week (morning or afternoon) for a minimum period of 4 weeks but are welcome to volunteer for longer periods. Volunteers at the Lunt Roman Fort are offered opportunities within the seasonal opening times.
Herbert Volunteers are given training, offered opportunities for behind the scenes tours and are invited to exhibition previews and given discounts in the Herbert Shop and Herbert Café.
People volunteer with us for a variety of reasons. Here are some reasons why our current volunteers are with us:
- For enjoyment
- To get involved and share their enthusiasm for our museum and art gallery
- To make new friends
- To gain skills
- To get work experience
- To maintain skills continuity
- To add to their CV
- To gain an award or qualification
- To share their talents
- To help others
- To make an impact in their community
Volunteer role descriptions will identify what are skills are needed and also whether the role is open-ended or for a specific time period. For example volunteers who help us with a public facing role need to enjoy meeting people, have a sense of fun and be interested in the museum, its collections and exhibitions.
How to Volunteer
Every month we hold a general information session for prospective volunteers at the museum.
The information session is very informal. Its purpose is to give prospective volunteers some background on the Herbert, with a brief tour and an overview of the current roles that are available. There is no commitment on either side and you will be given an opportunity to talk individually with the volunteer coordinator if you wish.
If you are interested in a specific role but cannot find it in our current opportunities please download the expression of interest form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief explanation of your interests and experience.
We are looking for reliable and friendly volunteers to help host fun and fascinating occasions. The Events team help our visitors enjoy exhibitions, collections and experience a broad range of cultural activities. We need approachable volunteers who are sufficiently knowledgeable about the event site to give directions and to help visitors have fun and great cultural experiences.
Generally events include a wide range of volunteer activities such as:
• Welcome Hosts – be welcoming when visitors arrive, let them know where to go and what to do to make the most of their visit.
• Supporting Artists – to deliver workshops or make and take activities – learn more skills and meet artists. You’ll help artists keep on top of materials and support workshops.
• Supporting Performers – meet them and help them get their kit to the performance space, look after their green room when they aren’t there, send messages to the event co-ordinator, watch their performances to let the co-ordinator know if there is a problem with equipment, audience etc. Great for volunteers that like music and the performing arts.
• Games Help – we run pervasive games in the galleries and we need volunteer help to get them started.
• Helping Stallholders - or other people that are part of the event and need to feel supported and welcomed. Check in on them and let the co-ordinator know if they need anything.
• Point Of Contact – keep an eye on spaces where activities are happening and let the co-ordinator know if anything is needed.
Find out more.
Volunteer for School Workshops
When: Starting as soon as possible.
Weekdays between 9:45 – 14:30 – we can be flexible with times
Are you looking to develop your career within an education setting/working with children? Or do you already have a background in working with children? Would you enjoy getting involved with supporting our team at the Herbert Art Gallery & Museum to support educational activities with schools?
Find out more.
Learning Activities Assistant October Half Term
Monday 22nd October – Saturday 28th October 2017
10:30am – 3:30pm (please tell us if you can only do part of these hours)
To support the Learning Team with the delivery of the October half term craft activities. Each day there will be a different art and craft activity for our family audiences to get involved with. During the October half term we will be exploring the art of printmaking and experimenting with different techniques. See the What’s On section of the website for a full breakdown of activities.
Find out more.
Visitor Research Assistant
Flexible and varied time | Ongoing
Working with our Audience Development Manager you will research our visitor's experience by carrying out face to face surveys. This role will also involve survey data inputting.
Expression of interest form